We will often go to great lengths to stay healthy and to keep ourselves feeling great. At times, we may exercise and eat the right types of food but we also may supplement our diet with vitamins as well. When we really stop to think about it, however, modern medicine has a lot to offer but there are times when it helps to look to older types of medicine and what they offer as well.
One of those older types of medicine is acupressure. Perhaps we have done this naturally in the past when we had a headache, as we often massage our temples or press on our own forehead. Thousands of years ago, however, the Chinese developed this technique and they really made a science out of it. Acupressure may be simple, but it is something that can really have an impact on your overall health when it is done properly. That is especially true of the human foot, where over 15,000 nerves interconnect and form a network that attaches to every organ and gland in the human body.
Around the world, people have discovered that acupressure has the ability to relieve us of aches and pains, stress and tension and can treat many issues that we are facing. It really involves finding the area of the body that is associated with the area that is experiencing the problem and then massaging it in the right way.
One of the most powerful acupressure points on the human body is the Tai Chong, also known as the LV 3 point. It is connected to the liver and is associated with cleansing the body. The LV 3 point is located on the top of the foot near the metatarsal bones. Here is how to find it.
Begin at the gap between the big and second toe and move to fingers width backward toward your ankle. You will feel a slight depression in that area and that is the LV 3 point. When you press down gently or apply firm pressure to that point for up to five seconds at a time, two minutes per day, you will experience the following benefits to the human body.
1. Pain: the LV 3 point is used to alleviate pain in many parts of the body. Some of the different types of pain that it can help with include abdominal and back pain, headaches, menstrual cramps, stomach pain and much more. Since this point is connected to the liver meridian and the lower back, it can help to relieve the additional sources of body pain. If you feel any aches or pains, give your foot a massage on this pressure point.
2. Depression: at times, our bodies and minds get overloaded with too much stress and we don’t get enough sleep. That tends to lead to depression but activating the LV 3 point can help to have an impact of the depression and anxiety we are experiencing. It is thought that the point works on individuals by effectively lowering the overall stress and helping them with insomnia. It is well worth a try.
3. Stress: a good massage can certainly work wonders when it comes to relieving stress. Activating the LV 3 point can naturally increase your concentration and focus, reducing stress and helping you to have a clear mind. Studies have also shown that it helps with insomnia, depression and anxiety which further helps to reduce stress.
4. Digestion: many different digestive issues can be targeted when you apply pressure to the LV 3 point. This includes nausea and vomiting, hangovers, upset stomach and indigestion.
5. Parkinson’s disease: according to the Northwest Parkinson’s Foundation, â€œAcupuncture point LV3 has been historically used to treat tremors such as those associated with Parkinsonâ€™s disease.â€ Although this dealt with acupuncture and not acupressure, it does show the benefits of using the pressure point and the thousands of years of history it has. It may just be a way to help improve people’s health with many modern diseases.
6. Sleep disorders: when you massage the LV 3 point, it can reduce stress and anxiety and give you a calm mind. You can use it when you are having a difficulty falling asleep at night and it may help you to sleep through the night as well. Using the LV 3 point can help you to get the quality sleep that you need.
This may be a rather simplistic type of treatment but it is one you can do on your own and is absolutely free to try. It does not come with side effects and leaves you feeling relaxed and calm. Yes, this sounds too good to be true but you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
H/T: Sun Gazing
Be sure to share this with your friends on Facebook