There are some items that we may use in the kitchen regularly and we might use them for a variety of reasons. Garlic certainly belongs on that list. Not only does it add a lot of flavour to food, it has a list of health benefits that is a mile long.
If you enjoy garlic, regardless of why you enjoy using it, you will be happy to know that it is possible to grow it at home. As a matter of fact, it is easy to grow and you will have an endless supply from your very own garden.
Garlic has a number of medicinal properties that you would want to consider. It is loaded with vitamins and low in calories. Some of the beneficial nutrients in garlic include vitamin B6, vitamin C, manganese, calcium, potassium and selenium.
Your immune system can also benefit from garlic and it will help to fight off sickness, such as the common cold. Including garlic in your daily diet may help to reduce sickness by up to 63%!
Your heart health can also benefit from the regular use of garlic. It may help to reduce your risk of heart disease and allows your body to use cholesterol more efficiently.
Garlic may also have benefits for those who suffer from high blood pressure.
In addition to being a great food, garlic is easy to grow. Just follow these 5 simple steps.
1. Break up the garlic bulb into cloves and bury them a couple inches deep in loose, damp soil.
2. Make sure you keep the pointed side of the clove facing upwards.
3. When your garlic sprouts, make sure to give them water when the topsoil feels dry but be sure to not overwater – garlic tends to not need too much water.
4. Cut off any flowers that bloom to preserve the flavour of your garlic.
5. Once your garlic plant has 5 or 6 leaves, itâ€™s ready to be pulled up!
Be sure to share this with your friends on Facebook